Comment at the end of 2014 season 24/07/2014
This season, the CoM was restructured in that the committee comprised of 14 members operating as one committee whereas in the past we have operated separately as a junior sub-committee and a senior focused committee of management. The new structure had its initial challenges however the ability to harness the experience and hardworking members who are dedicated to the long term success of the club has seen a number of positive changes that are expected to provide a strong foundation to build the club into the future.
To ensure the Club has long term success, it was necessary to undertake a rigorous review of its governance structures. Like any business, having good policies and procedures will allow the club to operate from a strong culture founded on trust and respect in the community in which we operate, as well as provide accountability and transparency for our actions.
Throughout the course of 2014, the CoM have both reviewed existing policies and initiated new policies and procedures as part of establishing that governance structure:
·Codes of Conduct for coaches, parents, players and spectators and procedures to deal with matters that are not deemed acceptable conduct
- Racial and Religious Tolerance Policy
- Smoke Free Policy to comply with Victorian State Govt guidelines and WRFL By-Laws
- Alcohol Management Policy through a Good Sports accreditation policy and program
- Player Rotation and Age Group Policies
- Issue Resolution Policy, including nomination of a designated contact person to advise on grievance processes;
- Cyber bullying Policy
- Trainer Policy, encompassing the need for all players to be registered Ambulance Victoria members; and
- a Corporate Social Responsibility and Sponsorship policy, to establish and recognise YSE as a good corporate citizen, responsible member of the community and an organisation that can raise the profile of sponsors.
In addition to the above, the CoM has commenced a Strategic Review of the Club, to provide a clear structure and strategy for growth, financial viability and a stronger club into the future. This body of work is extensive and draws upon the input of various stakeholders with whom we are associated to ensure our future development and long term success is supported in the community. By the end of the term of the current 2014 Committee of Management we hope to place on this webpage all the documents referred to above.
Unlike many clubs in the WRFL, YSE is fortunate to have an U18 registered team which provides a pathway for our junior members to achieve senior level status. The CoM is determined to expand our already strong junior program, maintain an U18 team and remain in the long term a strong Division 1 club. We believe this is the only way that the Club will develop and become more established and successful in years to come.
Again we thank you for your support in 2014 and hope you will continue to be a part of the success and development of the club in 2015 and beyond.